Measuring Myself with TPACK

TPACK, or technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge, is an educational framework that teachers can use to measure their ability to teach effectively with technology. It is a combination of three separate knowledge areas-technological knowledge, pedagogical knowledge, and content knowledge, which are of equal importance and influence in terms of how well a teacher can integrate all three into his/her professional practice.

  • Content knowledge refers to a teacher’s understanding of the subject matter being taught. This includes knowledge of the subject itself, laws, theories, ideas, knowledge progressions, etc., as well as learning standards that reflect the knowledge and skills students are proposed to acquire through their learning. 

  • Pedagogical knowledge refers to a teacher’s knowledge of theories and practices associated with the act of teaching. This could include methods of instruction, grouping, learning environments, assessment, and any other considerations that can impact how students learn.

  • Technological knowledge refers to a teacher’s awareness of/ability to plan for and use technology effectively as part of their classroom. This includes an understanding of the technologies themselves, hardware, software, applications, etc., as well as how the technology can be used by students.

Image Source
TPACK knowledge areas, as well as overlaps

In addition to the knowledge areas being viewed individually, teachers can also reflect upon their knowledge of two of the areas in tandem (pedagogical content, technological content, and technological pedagogical). These knowledge areas will help teachers examine how well they can integrate multiple areas of knowledge within their practice, as well as potentially identifying areas for personal growth. As one would expect, the ultimate goal is that teachers are able to understand how all three knowledge bases interact with and impact one another, therefore allowing them to incorporate all three knowledge bases in an effective, purposeful educational practice. In other words, TPACK is a way for teachers to understand what they should be teaching, how they should be teaching it, and what tool(s) can be used to best serve the ‘what’ and ‘how’. More information on the areas of TPACK can be found here.


As I reflect upon my own practice, I feel that there are ways that I can improve in all three knowledge areas. If I were to choose one component that I feel I have the most room for growth, it would be technological knowledge. At first, I felt somewhat surprised. I wouldn’t consider myself a technology expert by any means, but in terms of the amount of technology I use on a daily basis, I would like to think I have a decent familiarity. My first instinct as to the reason for my feeling that technological knowledge was my area for greatest growth was that I had less time in my career to have experienced with some of the technology being used in classrooms. This is my ninth year as a teacher, which means I’ve had nine years of experience working in my content area (not to mention experiences with my major as an undergrad). This also means I’ve had nine years of experience related to pedagogical practices. Many technologies, on the other hand, and as I noted in my first post, have come about relatively recently in my time as an educator. So, even in my earlier years where I didn’t work in a 1-1 school and the majority of work was done on hard-copy, I was still getting experience with my content and pedagogy.


Once I thought more about it, I believe my feeling comes more from the fact that I see technology as more constantly-evolving than content or pedagogy, and that it would be a greater struggle to keep up with these changes. In thinking about content, I know that my district has curriculum maps, unit plans, approved text lists, etc., so the actual content that is being taught from a year-to-year basis will not drastically change, save for any time there is a major curriculum overhaul (which admittedly is not outside the range of possibilities). Similarly, in thinking about pedagogy, I know that there are new teaching strategies, concepts, approaches, etc., that are being developed and suggested all the time, but there are also tried-and-true strategies that I know can work, that will likely always have a place in my educational practice. But, when it comes to technology, that seems to be the area of knowledge that has changed the most over the course of my time as a teacher. In a related vein, in moments where I have been shown a new technology tool or application (in a staff meeting, professional development presentation, conference, etc.), I have always felt less naturally aware of how it could work in my classroom than I have in similar situations where the subject was related to content or pedagogy.

Image Source
The amount of new technology can make it feel difficult to be truly knowledgeable


One wondering that I have as I think about what I just wrote is if this is truly as distinctive as I described, because in my head I realize that there are also technologies that I would consider ‘tried and true’ that could very likely remain part of what I use in my practice for a long time. Some tech tools that I feel could fall into this category include Google's apps for education, PearDeck, Formative, Flip, and Screencastify, among others. On that thought, I suppose I’m not completely sure if technology truly is as evolutionary in comparison to content or pedagogy, or if it just seems that way at the moment. I imagine that my time in this educational technology program could help me see my knowledge bases in a different light; hopefully, to the point where I continue to see all three as areas I could continue to grow in (for as long as I’m a teacher), but that I am able to capably apply my expertise in all three, in order to truly embody TPACK.


References

Common Sense Education. (n.d.). What is the TPACK model? [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMQiHJsePOM.


Koehler, M. (2012, September 24). TPACK explained. http://www.tpack.org/.


[TPACK knowledge areas diagram]. Educational Technology. https://educationaltechnology.net/technological-pedagogical-content-knowledge-tpack-framework/.


[Untitled image of technological components]. Sitkins.com. https://www.sitkins.com/blog/one-reason-why-you-must-adapt-to-changing-technology.



Comments

  1. Hello Adam,
    I feel like your reflection on how content, pedagogy, and technology evolve is on the right track. In education, I have noticed we like to switch things up and move to the most innovative engaging way to teach possible. I wrote in my first blog that best practice is best practice and I think that applies to not only content and pedagogy, but using technology as well. When creating lessons that include technology, can we marry what know is best for our students with the technology piece and the content standard we are trying to hit? Are we familiar enough with different types of technological resources that will enhance the students understanding of content? Can the tools we are most familiar with (like you said about your tool kit) really all that bad if they're engaging and constructive? I am hoping we will gain more answers than questions as we continue through our course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reflection, Adam. I hadn't thought about the idea that you've had many years to practice content knowledge and pedagogical knowledge because much of that stays static, or has more opportunity to practice and refine yet the technology keeps changing. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam,
    I thought your reflection piece of needing to grow in the technological knowledge area was so interesting - it made me think back to your first blog post about how your school depends heavily on integrating technology into many/most of the lessons. You were feeling like you had to use it instead of wanting to; whether for the student's learning benefit, to allow to technological exploration, or as a substituted resource for students who learned better on a screen. Do you think since it seemed so important for you to be using technology for technology's sake instead of navigating it from your own interest and excitement - that may have stumped your interest, and further growth, in technology in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Than Clicks & Cookies-Information on Algorithms

My Social Media Profile...Profile

Let's Get Active (Learning)!