Let's Get Active (Learning)!

 It’s so important to stay active, right? Every day we see commercials or ads on our favorite social media app touting the latest workout equipment, fitness channel, or the most comfortable pair of shoes to lace up for your next marathon (it’s literally like running on air!) If we go too long without hitting the treadmill, yoga mat, or even just a walk through our neighborhood, we can start to feel the effects in a number of different ways. Staying active helps maintain our overall health, both physically and mentally. In a similar fashion, staying active in learning can have major benefits for our students.

Active learning is a method of teaching and learning that, as the name suggests, asks students to take a more active role in their education. This is not about lecture and recitation. Instead, students are tasked with actually grappling with concepts and materials, taking a lead role in the classroom, while their teacher focuses on facilitating learning with consistent, targeted feedback that spurs on further research, creation, and/or reflection. Students regularly discover and apply new knowledge, and make connections between what they are learning/doing, and what they already know, especially through discussion or more ‘active’ activities. Students are able to display their learning in creative ways, especially through the use of technological tools, rather than preparing for a more traditional test or essay. The experiential aspect of active learning is what helps to create meaning, which in turn strengthens the personal connection that students feel to what they are doing in their classes. Active learning is something that teachers can and should seek to implement in their own classrooms, because it allows for students to work towards the same prescribed learning goals/standards in a curriculum, but doing so in a way that generates much more personal meaning.


One such example of active learning is described in this blog post; this Padlet provides a summary of the lesson:


Padlet

The activity described in the blog post saw students using apps like PicCollage and Audioboom to create visual products profiling important figures in the American Revolution. While it is not specifically made clear in the post, it seems that students had freedom to choose the topic of their project, and were given flexibility in terms of the design, layout, and creation of their project. A project such as this one exemplifies active learning because of that inclusion of student choice, as well as the fact that students were using 21st-century skills like creativity and collaboration in making their products. Students also included their own likenesses in several of the products, which I feel also speaks to students taking pride in their work, another hallmark of active learning. 


My Experience with Active Learning

Active learning is something that I have sought to include in my classroom for several years; in this earlier blog post, I wrote about my experience with project-based learning and Genius Hour, both of which are examples of active learning. To summarize for those who say TL;DR, I feel that Genius Hour, which requires students to compose an essential research question, research said question, and present their findings in whatever method they feel most fitting, is one of the best educational units I have ever implemented. The freedom that students are given, combined with the rigor of the research they undertake, creates such meaningful learning opportunities that more traditional strategies just don’t offer. I extended similar thinking to projects in other classes I have taught as well. Here are a couple of projects that former students of mine have created:


Rosa Parks video (project during unit on Civil Rights Movement in 8th-grade social studies)

Autism video (Genius Hour research project)


For those who haven’t experimented with active learning, I would highly recommend trying to incorporate it in your classroom. Start with the learning targets you have set for students. Then, think about ways in which students can show their progress in meeting said targets, while choosing how they do so. For example, students could create infographics, commercials, or other products to reflect research on a number of scientific topics (we’ve done this in my current school to wrap up a unit on geological processes). In math, students could compose products to demonstrate real-life examples of different mathematical concepts. There are really no limits to how teachers could implement active learning, so long as they are willing to lace up those shoes and give it a try!



Comments

  1. Hi Adam, I loved reading your post! Thank you for sharing your ideas on how you have used active learning in your classroom. It's great to see that your students created those videos on their own. I'm sure students were definitely engaged and having fun creating these, especially with the cartoons. Active Learning will help students learn the information much better. However, the challenge I see is that teachers are already overwhelmed with the amount of work they have to do, so maybe teachers at the same grade level could work on these bigger projects together to share ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Herlinda,

      I could not agree more with your point about the amount of work on teachers' plates; to really incorporate a lot of active learning in a curriculum that doesn't really have it would either have to be a progressive undertaking, or something that a team or PLC of teachers would need to collaborate on!

      Delete
  2. Loved your connection between being active both physically and mentally. Thanks, too, for including a reminder about your experience with Genius Hour and posting some student projects. These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Herlinda! I loved reading your blog post this week. I have noticed I have limited my active learning platforms in my own practice. You have provided some great information on how to get started. In one of my other tech courses I learned about Infographics and absolutely loved it!! I am excited to incorporate that into my instruction this year. I also have to add, I loved the intro to your blog this week. Being physically active is SO important and a great parallel to our content this week. Absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Adam!
    I have to say the title of your post this week is what caught my attention! What a fun and easy way of getting the reader lured into your post! The connection you first make on being mentally staying active is just as important as being physically active is a great way of explaining active learning. Our minds, just like our bodies, cannot stay in place for too long--otherwise they would begin to deteriorate! Your experience with active learning looks like you put in a lot of thought into actively teaching your students. Nicely done!
    --Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Adam! I really liked your blog's title. You and I chose the same active learning post with the American Revolution. I found it very important the fact that you mentioned 21st- Century skills. I think it is important for educators to understand that education is always adapting to new resources and skills that students should be exposed to. I find it definitely more interactive when I'm able to move away from pen and paper with my students. I always try to look for opportunities for students to express what they know through a variety of different assessments. I really enjoyed your example of active learning, Genius Hour, is something that I could use within my own classroom. I love how much freedom students get to be creative in their learning. It was so cool to see you mention infographics because I'm launching that type of assignment on Tuesday with my fifth graders!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Than Clicks & Cookies-Information on Algorithms

My Social Media Profile...Profile